• PipPipPipPip
  • 3675 postów
Neutralna
  • Zainteresowania:BJJ/MMA

Napisano Ponad rok temu

Joe Moreira - interview (usa)
Dołączona grafika Dołączona grafika

Dołączona grafika Dołączona grafika

Some instructors put their students through formal tests for promotions while others do not. Why do you test your students?

I want to make absolutely sure that my student knows what they are supposed to for each belt level. I want to make sure not only that they know how to perform techniques, but that they also have an understanding of when and why they are done.

However, some people say that an instructor should know a students level by simply seeing them perform in class. Do you agree with that?

Yes and no. I ask to see a lot from my student who is testing, more then just their few favorite techniques that they use when they roll on the mat.
In school, people buy books, study them, and then take a test at the end of the course. It's the same thing with me and jiu-jitsu. People come to class to train and I test them when they reach the end of a certain level.

Some people have made claims and spread rumors that you "sell" belts. What do you have to say to those people?

I'd like to see the receipts for the belts I've sold. People can say whatever they want to say. You are my student. How long have you been training jiu-jitsu?

11 years.

See? I don't give a belt to just anybody. I only give them to students who deserve it. I charge for the time it takes me to test my student. Sometimes the tests are 2 days long. But I don't give belts to people who don't know anything.

Have you every failed anyone who have taken your brown and black belt tests?

Yes, a lot of people.

You fought in a pancreas style match a few months ago and plan on fighting more in the future. At 41 years old, that age is generally past the prime age of those who fight in those type of events. What made you want to compete in such events against people who will probably by half your age?

I'm back from retirement. I'm starting to think a little more about myself. For 12 years, I've taken care of my students, family, and business. I did not take care of myself. I got fat and did not compete much. Now I want to make up for the time I lost. I want to do something that I have not done in a long time.

A few years ago, you went back to Brazil and competed in the Masters World Championships. Can you tell us what it was like to go back and train and compete in Brazil after being the US for so long? What happened in each one of your matches?

There really wasn't much difference in the training. The type of training I get here is the US is the same as what I got there. That was not big deal for me.
The big difference was all the changes in Brazil in general after leaving for 10 years. I felt very strange there. It was amazing to hear everyone speak Portuguese. I turn the TV on everything is in Portuguese. But the impression in my mind was of what it was like a long time ago. There were many things that were no longer around anymore. Many things were gone, like old friends or places I used to play soccer. The people I used to train jiu-jitsu with are not there anymore. Some of them died, got fat, or moved away. I was happy to be in my home country, but it also made be feel depressed being there.

In the Masters World Championship, I had 3 matches. At the time of this competition, my mind was really messed up. I was going through a divorce and my concentration was really bad. The first opponent he tapped fast. The second match was with "Bita" (previous years World Champion). That was a tough fight. I won by points. I think I got 7 points on him. In the last match, I went with a guy who was very strong. All he tried to do was keep me way when we were standing up. All matches in the Masters division were 5 minutes. We were standing for almost the entire match. At the very end, threw him and got 2 points. The instant we hit the ground, he jumped over my legs, got 3 points and the match was over.

You've been in the US for a very long time. When you went back to compete in the Worlds, that was the first time you had gone back to Brazil since coming to the US. I know that over the years, many black belts from Brazil have come to train with you here in the US. Yet in all the years I have known you, I have never see you tap to any of them. How are you able to maintain superior skill even though these other black belts have learned all the newest developments in BJJ?

I believe I have had more time on the mat. Before these other black belts try to do something, I'm already ready for it. Of course the younger guys have more power and conditioning, but I have more experience and that's what I think makes things more even.

How to you handle those black belts who are doing techniques you may have never seen before?

In jiu-jitsu, no matter what position you are in, no matter what techniques you do, the principles are all the same. So, I play my game. For example, if I am pinning someone from the top, as long am I follow the principles of control, I know my opponent can't do anything to me. It doesn't matter if he knows an escape that I have never seen.

By the way, when you compete, what team name do you compete under?

When I was young, I would compete under Relyson Gracie or Fransisco Mansor's team name. Now I compete under my own name.
What changes have you seen in sport BJJ since you've been in the US?
10 years ago, everyone competed against each other to see whose team was the best. But, it's not too easy to work with Brazilian people. On top of that, the fact is that you can't make everyone happy. I now see too much separation and division in jiu-jitsu. Each group holds their own competition because they don't want to their students to compete in a certain other group's competition. I think we all need to get back together again, but I think it's going to take a long time in order to get it right.

In the mid 90's, it was always a battle between the your team, the Machado team, and Rickson's team for the top spots at BJJ competitions. Now, you don't seem to have much of a team anymore. Why has this happened?

I want to focus on myself and pay more attention to my own needs and goals now. I still train my guys and put on tournaments, but not at the level that I used to.

I hear you have a new BJJ book coming out. Can you tell us about that?

I did this book with Black Belt Magazine. It only covers side positions (pins and attacks from various pins). There's a lot of stuff in it. Some of techniques are things that can be found on instructional videos I have made in the past, but there is not of new stuff. The book will be about 200 pages. I plan to make more books in the future. I've made videos before so I just wanted to do something different.

Użytkownicy przeglądający ten temat: 0

0 użytkowników, 0 gości, 0 anonimowych

Ikona FaceBook

10 następnych tematów

Plany treningowe i dietetyczne

Forum: 2002 : 2003 : 2004 : 2005 : 2006 : 2007 : 2008 : 2009 : 2010 : 2011 : 2012 : 2013 : 2014 : 2015 : 2016 : 2017 : 2018 : 2019 : 2020 : 2021 : 2022 : 2023 : 2024